Friday, December 28, 2012

Hope is the last to die

On our recent visit to Poland we visited Auschwitz-Birkenau. We asked our guide if she could recommend a good book to read about the camp and the experiences of someone who was incarcerated there.

She suggested "Hope is the last to die" by Halina Birenbaum who was 10 when the war in Europe broke out. The book was available in the bookshop at the Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum but unfortunately the museum was closed by the time we completed our tour. I tried to purchase a copy in Krakow and Warsaw and then in London without success so I listed purchase as a task on my return home.

I have just spent half an hour trying to find a reasonably priced copy of this book on the internet. A new copy can be purchased from the Museum but the only payment method is Paypal; I had an account but can't remember the details so this wasn't much use to me. There were secondhand copies available for prices of up to 80 British pounds at other sites. I finally purchased a secondhand copy through Amazon.co.uk for 15 pounds including postage.

Estimated delivery time is 2-6 weeks. Once I have read the book I may blog about it but I will certainly add and rate it in my online library at Librarything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...