Friday, June 7, 2013

Where did the years go?

It seems that it wasn't so long ago that Mr Geniaus and I were chauffering one of our sons and his mate back and forth to orchestra recitals and musical performances at The Scots College. Simon, the mate, lived at a distance from the College so when there was an evening performance or rehearsal he often stayed overnight at our home.  My Mother, who used to come over and help me, loved Simon because he politely ate everything she served up to him.

Last night I took a happy snap of two successful boys men who have gone their separate ways but who are still mates although they live on separate sides of the world. My son, Jonathon, was hosting Simon for a short visit and invited us around for dessert and coffee. The years just melted away although we have only caught up Simon with a few times in the past 20 years. We had an enjoyable time reminiscing with the boys, talking about their careers and families and future aspirations.

Simon and Jonathon
As a Mum I am proud of Jonathon, a successful Sydney neurosurgeon, who is also Head of the Neurosurgery Department at The Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney. 

I claim Simon as one of our family circle and am justifiably proud of his efforts. Simon Murphy moved to The Netherlands to further his music studies after he completed his tertiary studies in Sydney. He established an orchestra, The New Dutch Academy, in 2002  and since then has made quite a name for himself on the international music scene.  As I sit here and listen to one of the CDs Simon has made with the orchestra I am rather impressed.

Simon's present trip to Australia was to perform as guest conductor of The Queensland Symphony Orchestra. His two programs were Roman Holiday and New Generation.

These two chaps are still not yet 40, I wonder what their futures will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...